Re: Mac Mini weak DVI video signal

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

I have this problem with mine too... it typically happens when the
machine is hot, not when it was just booted though.

	I don't currently have this problem at all.  My set-up is:
	Mini -> Apple's DVI/ADC adapter -> Apple 22" ADC Cinema display.
	However, I have a different problem.  Instead of a constant
	"snow," the display occasionally (maybe once in 1-2 hours) acts
	as though it were an old TV you whacked on the side and caused
	the horizontal/vertical hold to go crazy for just a second, but
	then it's back to normal.  So, on the whole, it's not bad.
	When I first got the DVI/ADC adapter, it occurred more
	frequently (maybe once every 10-15 minutes).  Apple replaced
	the adapter with the one I have now.  At all other times, the
	image on the display is perfect.

	I'm interested in getting the Gefen 4x1 DVI/ADC USB KVM, but
	people have been having the "snow" problems with that too.
	Gefen tech support blames (and probably correctly so) the Mini.
	But since my problem is both different and not severe, I'm
	hesitant to buy the Gefen unit for fear of going from "not bad"
	and tollerable to "bad" and intollerable.

	Sigh...  You'd have thought something like the DVI signal
	wouldn't have slipped past Apple's QA.

If they don't, I'll have to do register dumps in OS X to check what's up ...
but I'm afraid it might be worse than that...

	:-(

	- Paul