Re: Swap

Ciao Michael, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

> How crucial is a swap partition?  The only think I know of it  being
> used for is virtual RAM memory, am I wrong?  Having 896 MB of RAM I
> didn't think that I would need one,

You will probably never need one single byte of that swap, but it is
required by some applications (apache, if I am not wrong, among others).
So don't follow the old rule swap = 2*Ram size, and stick with those 512MB.

> startx doesn't connect, but that doesn't surprise me after an earlier
> post I read about it, and I have the 4.3.0 sources downloaded, so I may
> try and compile that instead of using the 4.1 that debian installs.

I will not help you at all. Why not upgrading to Sarge? You will probably
solve a lot of problems. Woody is obsolete (yes it's stable ;)).

> How different is the debian kernel than a regular kernel?  for instance
> if I just wanted to download a newer kernel's source code, how much
> hacking would I have to do to get it compiled?

Debianized sources include some specific patches, but it is overall the
same. Compiling it is just a matter of 1 command. Read this:
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html