Re: Config

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 06:28:32PM -0800, Michael wrote:
> I managed to get  Woody installed using one disk.  But I have no idea
> how to configure things.  I ran through the ppp configuration, but  the
> error message ran by so fast that I couldn't read it.  I didn't know

/var/log has the answer, probably the files beginning with ppp (though
I don't remember how woody is configured).  You need to be root to
read all files.

> what to put into the apt sources file, which I am guessing is where to
> put whatever site to get the .deb packages from.  I would manually
> compile things onto the system, or try to, but I don't have gcc, so in
> my "inexperience" I didn't think I could run a configure script.

my sources.list looks like this:

--- cut here ---
deb http://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/debian/ testing main

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main

# deb http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~agx/linux-ppc/debian mplayer/
# deb http://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
--- cut here ---

testing means sarge in this case.  woody is way too old, I recommend
that you do a dist-upgrade.  Replace rutgers with your closest debian
mirror, see http://www.debian.org/mirror/list for a list.

I am guessing that you only have a modem connection, so a dist-upgrade
would literally take ages.  I think you have three better options:

1. take the machine to a place with ethernet connection and do an upgrade
2. get somebody to write out the sarge CD's for you and use apt-cdrom
to update your sources.list
3. use apt-zip, eg on a removable drive

> modules to install support for minix file system, DOS, HFS, and I think
> NFS, so I should be able to mount my OS X partition and get source and
> manually downloaded .deb files.
>
> That brings up another question.  I worked in and on fink which has an
> apt-get package manager based on debian.  How close is this
> resemblance?  More importantly can I put whatever deb files into a
> directory for cache and install it?  Within fink I think it was
> /var/cache/apt/Archives.

The scripts of apt-zip will work on OS X, so it won't be that
complicated.

> I left the modem at the default, because I didn't know what to do.  is
> there some documentation I can look at to learn this stuff?

pppconfig will manage your configuration for you, and the errors are
in the log files.

Best,

Tamas