Re: Booting without BootX on Wallstreet?

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:56:51 +0100, Rainer Gutkas <rainer.gutkas@kstp.at> wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a way to boot linux without having OS9
> installed on a G3 Powerbook wallstreet? I tried quick bootlader, but
> didn't work and cause of only 2 Gigs of Diskspace aditional disk space
> gets really valuable.

I haven't been able to get quik going on my Wallstreet/PDQ but I'd
like to to make kernel tweaking easier. However several years ago I
bought a 20 Gig Fujitsu drive and it's MUCH faster and quieter than
the stock 4 Gig drive, and was not very expensive.

> By the way does Kernel 2.6.8 work on wallstreet? Sarge installs 2.4.27
> by default and couse I'm out of diskspace I couldn't compile and test
> 2.6.8...

I'm running the stock 2.6.8-powerpc kernel package on mine. Your
biggest challenge might be juggling the files around, but I didn't
have any serious trouble switching between 2.4.x and 2.6.x. Just
remember you'll need to point to the 2.6.8-initrd.img file using the
"Use specified RAM disk" option in BootX.