Re: Problems starting X

At 10:31 AM 3/16/2005 -0500, you wrote:
Hey everybody!

I just installed sarge on my PowerBookG4 and I am having issues starting
gdm.  I am new to the specifics of the configuration of X and I don't know
where to start.

During installation the PB complained about not being able to find an X
server, but I don't know what the means.

If I remember correctly, I had to install XFree86 separately from KDE on my G4/350 before kdm (KDE's equivalent to gdm) would start. Run 'aptitude' or your preferred method for browsing/installing packages, and install AT LEAST

xserver-xfree86
xserver-common (I'm not sure if this is the name or if it's xfree86-common)
xfonts-75dpi
xfonts-100dpi

Anyway, just look for things like xserver, xfree86, and xfonts, and install until you can run gdm

HTH.

-Dan

When gdm starts it tells me there is an error and asks if I would like to
see the output, it also says 'Caught signal 11'... any help?

Thanks as always, anything is appreciated!!

Charles Read