Hard Disk install on a new PowerMac G5

Hi all,

I'm trying to install debian on my PowerMac G5 (1.8MHz monoprocessor,
bought in January 2005, OF version 5.2.2f2) by directly booting from my
MacOS hard disk. I've got yaboot from woody [1], and I've downloaded
initrd.gz and a kernel image (vmlinux) from the daily build of the
netboot installer for newworld powerpc [2] (on Sven's pages I think).

[1] http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current/new-powermac/
[2] http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/netboot/

My yaboot conf looks like this

---
image=/vmlinux
	label=install
	initrd=/initrd.gz
	initrd-size=8216
	#append="disksize=2.88"
---

Unfortunately, when I boot the kernel, I get an "Invalid memory access
in %SRR0:<something> %SRR1:<something>" just after the lines "Calling
quiesce... returning 0x014000000 from prom_init". The console then
starts to print "> OK" repeatedly, and the first lines are scrolled
away.

I've read the threads about the need for a newer kernel for new G5
models [3], but my problem does not seem to be related to this.

[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2004/12/msg00619.html

My question is then: is there any hope to install debian from an
existing hard drive (or should I switch to the CD boot method)? Is there
is a hope this could work, am I doing it right? And how could I track
the problem? [I have debian running on a G4 powerbook, so I can compile
a new kernel if needed].

I'll be happy to help if there is any need of testing debian-installer
on this particular model.

Thanks for your help!

Francois