Re: Building a Custom Kernel

Ben Hill wrote:
On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 18:07 -0800, Eric Gaumer wrote:

That driver was pulled from Debian kernel sources due to binary blobs in the source. You can
patch it back in but I doubt you need to for PPC.

Isn't there a package for this though? I thought that code was simply moved to non-free.

Ben, was this configed in the kernel sources or did you just enable it by accident? Debian
kernel sources right?

A lot of the new Dell 1u PE servers are using this Broadcom chipset these days.

That's where I'm going wrong I think. What's the process for building a
powerpc kernel image, as in the kernel-image-2.6.8 package?

Cheers,

Ben

Just configure it calling which ever target you like:

o config
o menuconfig
o xconfig
o gconfig
o oldconfig

Then just run:

]$ make-kpkg clean
]$ fakeroot make-kpkg --append_to_version -custom --revision=1.0 --initrd kernel-image

Although I recommend you just compile in the necessary modules to boot so can discard the
use of the ramdisk.

It's the same process as on the x86 and there several ways to actually go about it. Make
sure you edit yaboot and run ybin as well.

Linus just released 2.6.11 so maybe you want to head upstream and grab the latest greatest
kernel sources.

	-Eric

	- Albert Einstein