Re: Which Kernel for Airport Support?

Mauro wrote:

For me it's no problem.
But i don't know if Apple/Broadcom have to be asked?

It would be great to have a replacement for the Broadcom card.

Has anyone actually tried to contact Broadcom?

I have and I can tell you that I understood that they felt they had no
responsibility towards people who owned their hardware.  How did i get
this?  Well, they told me that they do not deal with the public and that
if I wanted linux specs (the reason for my email) or drivers I would
have to ask apple.  I don't think they answered me back when I brought
attention to how inconsistent it was to think that apple was going to
release gnu-linux airport extreme specs and or drivers, considering that
gnu-linux ppc competes on their hardware.  I have copies of my
correspondence with them.  And no, I do not think it is unreasonable to
post contacts online.  It's time they fess up to their social
responsibilities of supporting their hardware by not locking their
customers into specific architectures.  I have personally thought of
starting a boycott but school and a lack on info on how to organise this
have kept me at bay.  Perhaps I should start with my local gnu-linux
group.

Now now... Don't fulfill the stereotype that people have of Linux users. I understand the
frustration but we need to approach things in a civil manner if we expect to be taken
seriously. Nobody said it would be easy but just as the ocean wears at the shore, we will
eventually overcome. Rash behavior will only prolong our suffering...

Boycotting the product has a negative effect. Do you think Linux PPC users produce a large
market share? We should instead embrace the product because once we do become a significant
portion, we will have more say.

Think about it...

--
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
	- Albert Einstein