Re: And d-i initrd images (vmlinux and initrd.gz only) available too. (was Re: New 2.4.27 powerpc kernel packages ready, please test (including nubus and apus support) ...)

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 07:16:30AM -0600, vinai wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 03:04:11PM -0600, vinai wrote:
> >
> >>I did try the new floppy images, but due to issues with my video card
> >>not liking any video modes that the kernel wants to seem to enforce,
> >>I could not get those to work.  The floppy kernel images would boot my
> >>8500, but as soon as the kernel would start to boot, the video would
> >>disappear, and the machine would reboot a few minutes later.
> >
> >This is nothing new though, and was present already in the normal d-i
> >floppy-2.4 images, right ? Did you try the floppy ones or the floppy-2.4
> >ones ?
>
> I believe I tried both (went back and forth between floppy, floppy-2.4
> and then ramdisk images with my own kernel)
>
> >>I did try a couple of the initrd images, but I could not get any to
> >>work either, probably (my guess) because you need a matching kernel
> >>to work these ramdisk images ?  Will any of these images work with a
> >>kernel compiled from the 2.4.27 kernel.org sources ?
> >
> >No chance.
> >
> >But if you have a running linux install on it, you could try installing
> >the 2.4.27 packages, and use quik/bootx to boot it. Should work, and
> >this is really the test i am after.
>
> Okay - I was leaning towards just grabbing one of the debian kernels and
> doing what I do with my kernels - forcing the video setting with BootX.
> I'm also looking to migrate from 2.4 to 2.6 - I'm interested in learning
> about device driver programming.
>
> Could you point me to the location of the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels + ramdisks
> you want tested?  I can at least try these with BootX, then proceed from
> that point ...

Try these ones :

  http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/new-2.4-kernels

I guess both the powerpc/netboot/2.4 or powerpc/netboot/2.6 should do, and
work with BootX.

Friendly,

Sven Luther