Re: gnomemeeting on ibook2.2

Before replying to this mail, I recall that gnomemeeting is working now.

According to Lee Braiden, on Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:00:32 +0000,
>On Monday 28 February 2005 09:49, Cedric Pradalier wrote:
>> According to Lee Braiden, on Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:35:17 +0000,
>
>> >Have you checked any of those things yet?
>
>> Hi,
>> Is this a serious question ? >;o(
>
>Yes, it was a sincere question.  It tells you to do those things because
>they're the first steps in diagnosing/fixing the problem, so it's important
>that you pay attention to them, and that you tell us what you've ruled out so
>far, if anything.

You're right :
audio-setup : I can play any music, and gnomemeeting can play the little wav file he uses
to signal events.

permissions : every things is world read/write-able in my snd directory and I'm in the
audio group. Anyway, the message also appears as root. I recall checking with strace that
the accessed file was rw.

device not busy : the message appeared after a fresh boot
without any other application using sound, and I'm not using kde (so no arts daemon
getting the device, I would have killed it anyway)

>> By the way, seeing that I had asked the advices of the gurus, gnomemeeting
>> get afraid and decided to work this morning !
>
>Something has been changed, most likely.

No I don't seriously think it was afraid !

>> It seems to be linked to the fact that I unmuted the DRC, and set the DRC
>> range to maximum. Nevertheless, with the micro above the speakers, I can
>> hear that Larsen is not far. I will have to try with a headset.
22>
>So it *is* playing, but just quietly?

No. I don't mean I had to put the micro near the speaker. I mean that the micro being on
the screen frame, it is effectively located 15centimeters from the right speaker. So there
is some larsen.

>Can't be much wrong if you're hearing
>sound of even limited volume.  Make sure your PCM *and* Master Volumes are
>turned up (94% or so would be good), and you might try plugging and then
>unplugging a pair of headphones, just to see if it jolts the sound hardware
>into the right mode.

All this is OK. It's been 3 years now that I'm using my ibook on linux, with mp3...

I think I finally see where the problem was. In alsamixer (the text version, not the gui),
you can change input source between line and mic. It was displayed on mic. But the fact of
switching it to line and back seems to have unlocked the micro. Now it is recording
correctly.

So to summarize, after a fresh boot,
I launch alsamixer, unmute the DRC, switch input source to line, then back to mic.
And gnomemeeting seems to be working (at least the "test setting" window).
The presence of artsd does not seem to be a problem (as long as it yield the sound card, I
believe)
No need to be root (I know that's obvious)

Cedric