Re: Silent ALSA

Ben Hill wrote:
On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 10:04 -0800, Eric Gaumer wrote:

Ben Hill wrote:

On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 14:00 -0800, Eric Gaumer wrote:

Are you a member of the audio group?

Yes

Doing an ls -l on /dev/dsp should show it's 664 with
root the owner and audio the group.

crw-rw----  1 root audio 14, 3 2005-02-27 09:30 /dev/dsp

Have you verified you are not using dynamic range control?

How would I do that?

Use gnome-alsa mixer and you'll see a setting for DRC. Just make sure it's unckecked OR you
have the range turned all the way up.

No errors or anything huh? Just plays fine but no sound?

Yeah, using GNOME CD Player. I can adjust the panet applet sound control
etc.

GNOME CD player wont work.

What app are you using to play sounds (XMMS, Rhythmbox, totem, etc...)? If you are trying to
play a CD then don't use gnome-cd player. Use XMMS or GooBox.

I've tried Totem too, which is the same.

I have some recent trouble with totem where there is no sound. Anything > .99 doesn't work
on my x86 though it works fine on PPC. I haven't had time to look deeply into it and nobody
else seems to have noticed a problem. As soon as I back down to .99.22-1 it's fine. I know
at least two others who had the same problem and used the same fix (both on x86).

Just a heads up in case there does turn out to be a problem.

How about taking a simple wave file and trying esdplay. Run an strace as well.

I'll try that...

--
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
	- Albert Einstein