Re: iBook G4 CDWriter and hdparm

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 19:50 +0100, Alfonso Aguarón Turrientes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this is my first message on the list so hi to everyone.
>
> Well this is my problem. I own an iBook G4 with Debian Sid PPC
> installed. Everything is working fine, but recording CDs. I only records
> at 8x speed even when I add "speed=24" at cdrecord options.
>
> I guess my problem should be solved with hdparm so I have tried to
> enable I/O Support (32 bits), DMA and UDMA66. When I run hdparm like
> this:
>
> hdparm -c 1 -d 1 -X66 /dev/hdc
>
> hdparm hangs and so I'm unable to use my cd writer 'til I reboot the
> computer.

You shouldn't tweak your IDE settings with hdparm. The kernel driver is
already tuning the bus for optimal performances automatically. The only
thing is that sometimes, when an error occurs, the IDE layer might
disable DMA, which you can then re-enable with hdparm -d1, but that's
all. I don't know what's wrong with your burning speed, it might
actually be a cdrecord problem.

Ben.