Re: Problem installing on PowerMac 8600

Hello vinai

On Friday 25 February 2005 03:38 pm, vinai wrote:
> And I
> don't think it's a problem with the floppy drive itself - I put in the
> floppies in MacOS 9, and they showed up on the desktop and I was able to
> see the kernel file on the disk.

Don't be so sure about that. After I installed MacOS 9.1 on the box, I was
able to mount those floppies and take a look at them. But when I wanted to
write to them, within MacOS I just got an error message saying, that it won't
work. Cool, eh?
If you still have MacOS on your drive you can still go the BootX way, if you
want to get to some results quickly.

> I also tried to just use the kernel and ramdisk files from the "netinst"
> powerpc CD image.  I was able to boot the machine, but I couldn't get it
> to do the network install ....

Hm. I'm gonna try that image too. Can't remember seeing it.

> Are there newer floppy images I can test ?  Or an ramdisk which can do a
> network install ?

I think that Holger's links point at the latest floppies. But I bet, Holger
can tell more about that ;->

Cheers,

Patrick