Re: New powerbooks support status

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 16:39 +0100, Antonio-M. Corbi Bellot wrote:
> El jue, 24-02-2005 a las 15:51 +0100, Sven Luther escribió:
> > On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 11:27:01AM +0100, Antonio-M. Corbi Bellot wrote:
> > > Hi list:
> > >
> > > I've to install Debian in one of the new pbooks (12", 1.5Ghz, 80Gb...)
> > > and I've almost done it.
> > >
> > > I've found two non-working (and expected to work) hardware components:
> > >
> > > 1) touchpad: it seems its a new usb device (not adb anymore). My problem
>
> > Ah, fun, i guess an external mouse will work though. Not sure maybe there is
> > some kernel driver level stuff missing here, as it should be /dev/input/mice.
>
> Sure, it's the only way I can use a mouse now :)

You should contact the linux input layer / USB HID author. It seems the
touchpad isn't properly recognized, he may be able to fix that. I don't
know anything about these new touchpads and didn't have a chance to play
with those new machines yet.

> > > 2) sound: at boot time it seems to recognize a sound card, loads the
> > > corresponding alsa drivers (exactly the same drivers that work superb
>
> > Maybe these new machines share the new sound that the minimac has ?
>
> Probably, don't know.

It's probably not that different from the existing chips though...

> And I've just discovered a third issue:
>
> 3) CPU: I can't use cpufreq, /proc/cpuinfo says:
>
> processor       : 0
> cpu             : 7447A, altivec supported
> clock           : 1499MHz
> revision        : 1.2 (pvr 8003 0102)
> bogomips        : 747.52
> machine         : PowerBook6,8
> motherboard     : PowerBook6,8 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh
> detected as     : 287 (Unknown Intrepid-based)
> pmac flags      : 00000008
> L2 cache        : 512K unified
>
> Hope this will be updated soon in the kernel, meanwhile we have a 750Mhz
> G4 :(

Wht do you mean ? The half bogomips ? well, it might just be a matter of
enabling support for your machine in arch/ppc/platforms/pmac_cpufreq.c
around those lines:

        if (machine_is_compatible("PowerBook6,5") ||
            machine_is_compatible("PowerBook6,4") ||
            machine_is_compatible("PowerBook5,5") ||
            machine_is_compatible("PowerBook5,4")) {
                pmac_cpufreq_init_7447A(cpunode);

Though that code will probably think you are running at high speed which
isn't the case apparently... We probably need to add some code to read
back the current speed mode from the processor to get the initial speed
correct or all the kernel delay loops will be broken.

Ben.