Re: accessing file on HFS+

On Sun, 2005-30-01 at 02:56 +0100, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:

> This is probably a permission problem. The hfsplus driver maps the
> UID/GID's from OS X to Linux. You probably don't have the same UID/GID
> on both systems. You should be able to read all the files on the
> mounted
> hfsplus partition as root tough.

Well, I haven't tried messing around with uid or gid, but it occurred to
me that that mounting OS X at under /mnt was creating an extra set of
permissions problems (ie., mount -t hfsplus /dev/hda9 /mnt/macos/).
So I created an macOSX directory under ~ and viola, I can copy files
back and forth between OS X ("Shared" folder) and debian-ppc.  There are
still sometimes permissions problems opening up files transfered from
debian on OS X but a simple playing around with the file's "info", and
changing permissions from there takes care of this.

As others might be viewing the list for info on the subject, I found
this at ubuntu forums that might do better than my fix (allow access to
files under users?) above (I haven't tried it yet):
"Re: mount/unmount hfs and hfs+
By all means, using hfs instead of hfsplus will work as well. And for
automount, I have a line like this in my
fstab to mount my OS X partition on boot:
/dev/hda3 /mnt/osx hfsplus rw,exec,auto,users 0 0
hda3 is my OS X partition and osx is the mount point I made for it.
The rw make it readable and writeable, the auto is the automount part
and users allows all users to access it.
You could also mount it with ro instead of rw which will make ir read
only, or you could change the users to
root to only allow the root user to access it. I'm still very much a
newbie at linux so I too am still learning
as I go. Good luck!"