Re: Switching from BootX to quik

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 11:38:00AM +0100, Simon Vallet wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:18:00 +0100
> Hans Ekbrand <hans@sociologi.cjb.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 10:09:38AM +0100, Hans Ekbrand wrote:
>
> > Does quick know of the model-specific quirks mentioned on
> > http://penguinppc.org/bootloaders/quik/quirks.ph?
>
> No. Quik doesn't know how to manipulate OF vars -- in fact, you may only
> load quik with correct OF values
>
> > Is it up to me as an user to configure OF?
>
> Yes, you'll have to figure out the correct values and fill them in
> using nvsetenv, Bootvars, or directly at the OF prompt. This can be a
> pain, but you'll only have to do it once:-) For info, I do have a 6400
> booting nicely with quik, so it should be possible for your 5400 if
> it has the same OF version.

Does the following output of nvsetenv look like yours?

little-endian?  false
real-mode?      false
auto-boot?      true
diag-switch?    false
fcode-debug?    false
oem-banner?     false
oem-logo?       false
use-nvramrc?    false
real-base       0xffffffff
real-size       0x100000
virt-base       0xffffffff
virt-size       0x100000
load-base       0x100000
pci-probe-list  0xffffffff
screen-#columns 0x64
screen-#rows    0x28
selftest-#megs  0x0
boot-device     ata/ata-disk@0:0
boot-file
diag-device     fd:diags
diag-file
input-device    ttya
output-device   ttya
oem-banner
oem-logo
nvramrc
boot-command    begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again

Here is the partition table

/dev/hda
        #                    type name                length   base    ( size )  system
/dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                   63 @ 1       ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/hda2          Apple_Driver43 Macintosh               64 @ 64      ( 32.0k)  Driver 4.3
/dev/hda3        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh               64 @ 128     ( 32.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda4           Apple_Patches Patch Partition        512 @ 192     (256.0k)  Unknown
/dev/hda5               Apple_HFS namnl               409600 @ 704     (200.0M)  HFS
/dev/hda6         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 lin                2560000 @ 410304  (  1.2G)  Linux native
/dev/hda7                    swap swa                 327680 @ 2970304 (160.0M)  Unknown
/dev/hda8              Apple_Free Extra                37488 @ 3297984 ( 18.3M)  Free space

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=3335472
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1: @ 128 for 30, type=0x701

Now, Linux resides on /dev/hda6, and quik installed something into the
boot block of /dev/hda6, but the boot-device is set to
ata/ata-disk@0:0 above. Should that be ata/ata-disk@0:6?

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.1
Linux emac140 2.6.9-1-686 #1 Thu Nov 25 03:48:29 EST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>

Never trust a message that appears to come from me but is not signed
with GPG! It is most likely SPAM or a VIRUS sent by someone who has my
adress and got infected.

My public key, ID 7050614E, is available from the HKP key servers and
here: http://sociologi.cjb.net/~hans/key.txt