Re: Switching from BootX to quik

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 13:43, Eric C. Cooper wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 12:10:47PM -0500, Mehul Sanghvi wrote:
> > I can run Debian on a 7200/120 _without_ any MacOS partition ?
> > Is my understanding correct ?
> >
> > <eyeing my 7200/120 with a new look>
> >
> > I don't have a MacOS that works on the 7200, so can I do the install
> > without MacOS ?  Or do I need MacOS to do the install and then
> > I can blow it away ?
>
> Maybe someone else can answer that -- I started with MacOS, installed
> LinuxPPC years ago, then switched to Debian, getting rid of the MacOS
> partitions along the way.
>
> > I would really love to know the steps needed to get my 7200
> > to be a pure Linux system.  How much RAM do I need or should
> > have on the system ?

I know that 128 MB RAM works acceptably on a 6500/225.  It swaps a bit
when I run Mozilla and anything much else, but it should make a fine
firewall.

If you are willing to put up with the foibles of the quik bootloader
(see my previous rants on the subject in this mailing list and
debian-boot) you should be able to get Debian to install just fine,
without having to deal with MacOS in any way, by starting the install
from a floppy disk.

There should be a set of images for bootable PowerMac floppies here:

http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/$DD/powerpc/floppy-2.4/

where $DD is a recent date.

Be sure to install quik when time comes in the install process.

Enjoy!

Rick