Re: Switching from BootX to quik

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 01:51:04PM -0500, Rich Johnson wrote:
> The time has come for me to decommission OS 9 from my old-word 8500 and
> go pure linux--but to do it without re-installing or repartitioning the
> disks.
>
> I think the following procedure will accomplish what I want to do:
>
> 1.  apt-get install quik - but do NOT install a boot-record.
> 2.  remount the existing /boot (hfs) as /oldboot.  /boot becomes just a
> directory on the root dev.
> 3.  copy vmlinux, System.map and cofig files from /oldboot to /boot
> 4.  modify /etc/quik.conf
> 5.  dpkg-reconfigure quik (to install boot record)
> 6.  use nvsetenv to inspect boot record; boot-device should show the
> path to roots disk.
> 7.  use nvsetenv to turn off auto-boot? (just in case)
> 8.  connect a console
> 9.  reboot.
>
> The OS9 partitions will be left in-situ for now.  In the unlikely event
> I need to boot OS9 (e.g. to run TechTool) I'll boot off a CD.
>
> Comments?  Can I get reassurance that this procedure is likely to work?

I use quik and don't have any HFS partitions on my disk.
My nvram settings are:
    auto-boot?      true
    boot-device     scsi/sd@0:0
    boot-file       /boot/vmlinux
(My machine is a 7600 with a SCSI disk; you might need a different OF
device for yours).

My quik.conf file contains:
    default=linux
    timeout=50

    root=/dev/sda2
    read-only
    append="console=ttyS0,38400"

    image=/vmlinux
	    label=linux

    image=/vmlinux.old
	    label=old

/dev/sda1 is the Apple partition map, so root is on sda2.  My machine
is headless, so the append=... line makes the kernel use the serial
port for the console.

One thing that I got bitten by: quik doesn't understand symlinks, so
/vmlinux should be a hard link to /boot/vmlinux-NNN.  Also, updating
the kernel image via apt-get or dpkg invariably messes up the links;
you'll have to fix them by hand each time.

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u