Re: d-i fails on new PowerMac G5

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 16:52 -0800, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
>     "Pedro" == Pedro Sanchez <psanchez@nortel.com> writes:
>
>     Pedro> I installed Debian in a second hard drive. Did I miss
>     Pedro> something during the install?
>
> Well, sounds like you got past the first problem which was that you
> were using the RC2 installer (which does not boot).

Yes, the new installer works just well.

> I would guess everything is working correctly actually. But I'm
> guessing ;-)
>
> My guess is you partitioned the second disk only. So I'm guessing you
> put the Apple_Bootstrap partition on the second disk. So the installer
> put yaboot on the second disk (on that boostrap parition). Pretty
> natural to me too.

This is correct. I don't want to touch the OS X hard drive so I didn't
bother initializing it.

> When you boot the machine the Firmware boots from the first bootstrap
> partition and loads Mac OS X. If you tell it too boot off the second
> disk it loads yaboot correctly (and if you boot with 'l' you should
> get Linux).

Almost right. "tell it to boot off the second disk..." I imagine that's
what I do when I click the Linux icon in the graphical boot menu,
correct? I assume the little text boot menu that follows is actually
coming from yaboot. The problem is, that after I press "l" the machine
doesn't boot Linux, instead, it sends me back to the graphical boot
menu. I haven't found a way to get out of this loop. Note that pressing
"x" in the text menu *does* boot OSX without problems. I wonder then why
is it that "l" doesn't boot Linux.

> The install guide clearly says the bootstrap partition must go
> *before* the Mac OS X partition (because of the way Mac OS 'blesses'
> partitions). If you put it on the second drive then that is the only
> way it can work?

I'd be happy if this menu thing would work. I wouldn't mind going
through it to boot Linux because I will spend little time, if any, in
OSX. But the menu stuff doesn't work :(

> Having said all that: what do you want it to do? The firmware is the
> firmware is the firmware.....the only way to work around it is put the
> yaboot bootstrap partition on disk 1 before the Mac OS X partition ;-)

Hmm, I'm just thinking, would swapping the hard drives work? What if the
Linux disk is now sda and the OSX disk is sdb? I guess I can give it a
try.

> Cheers!
> Shyamal
>
> PS: Looks like you do this stuff at work, and I do it after work, so
> we exchange messages a day apart ;-)

Thanks, help is always welcome and I'm in no hurry to get this going.
This thread will provide good feedback for future installers in my situation.

--
Pedro