Re: gramofile wav format not accepted by other sound programs

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:20:07 +1100
Nick Croft <nicko@acay.com.au> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I've been using gramofile OK on i386 machines. Trying to do the same with
> myh Pismo using debian-powerpc, I am able to record and play ``wav'' files
> within gramofile, but cannot open edit convert or play them with other
> programs.
>
> Typical error msg:
>
> Warning: INVALID format chunk in wav header.  Trying to read anyway (may not
> work)... Warning: Unexpected EOF in reading WAV header ERROR: Input file  is
> not a supported format
>
> I've tried sweep, sox, play, oggenc, glame.
>
> Also did a dist-upgrade in case something was missing.
>
> It must be that the debianppc version produces something unacceptable in its
> output. After waiting to see if anyone here can help, my next step will be
> to compile from source.

My guess is that gramofile uses its own WAV file writing code instead of
using something proven like libsndfile:

    http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/

Try grabbing the the sndfile-programs package and use sndfile-info on
the file. You can post the output here and I'll have a look.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam@mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
"To me C++ seems to be a language that has sacrificed orthogonality
and elegance for random expediency." -- Meilir Page-Jones