gramofile wav format not accepted by other sound programs

Hello

I've been using gramofile OK on i386 machines. Trying to do the same with
myh Pismo using debian-powerpc, I am able to record and play ``wav'' files
within gramofile, but cannot open edit convert or play them with other
programs.

Typical error msg:

Warning: INVALID format chunk in wav header.  Trying to read anyway (may not
work)... Warning: Unexpected EOF in reading WAV header ERROR: Input file  is
not a supported format

I've tried sweep, sox, play, oggenc, glame.

Also did a dist-upgrade in case something was missing.

It must be that the debianppc version produces something unacceptable in its
output. After waiting to see if anyone here can help, my next step will be
to compile from source.

Googling so far goes nowhere.

Nick Croft