Re: AGP Support in PesasosII

On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 03:54:07PM -0500, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 15:21 +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> >
> > All the 3d stuff available in debian works well (well, they play hell
> > with mergedfb dual-head mode, quake2 transformed my dual-head setup
> > into cloned mode, dissapearing without recourse all my windows on the
> > other head).
>
> If you have page flipping enabled, that's a known bug for which a
> solution is currently being discussed on the DRI lists.

Ah ... Wonder if you will do a new dri-trunk release once that fix is
implemented, or if we will have to wait for X.org server ? Also is it true
that disabling page flopping also allows for >2x1024 mergedfb resolution ?

> > And AGP is probably not really so much of a benefit anyway in these
> > ages of multi-hundred MB of onboard ram.
>
> The free DRI drivers only use video RAM for textures, all the geometry
> etc. still goes over the bus, so PCI is definitely a bottle neck.

Yep, understood, sadly there is not much we can do about that, since even
moving the geometry and stuff onto the video RAM will not help, since we have
to tranfer it at runtime, and cannot really pre-load it, right ?

Next version should have PCI-E 16x directly from the chip-builtin northbridge,
so that will be a huge gain over even stuff like the amd64 which only buildin
the memory controller. Then the pegasos becomes a real gaming plateform, if
there are specs or drivers available for modern graphic cards that is.

Right now, anything beyond radeon 9250 is fully unusable on powerpc anyway.

Friendly,

Sven Luther