Re: Power on powerbook G4

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:33:36 +0100
Guillaume Florey <flo.guillaume@edux.ch> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have one question about the behaviour of the battery on my powerbook G4:
> When the battery is full, and the electricity cable is still plug-in, does
> this damage the battery ? I heard that when the battery full is,  you have to
> unplug the cable and wait before plug-in, till the battery empty is. I wanted
> to know if I can leave the electricity cable plug-in with full battery,
> without damaging my battery ?

The plugged in AC connector doesn't do any harm to your battery. The battery
charge is kept at maximum level controlled by an internal charging electronic.

Usually high temperatures decrease battery life time and mobile computers with
high speed processors mostly generate a lot of heat. Due to this it is recommended
to remove a 75% charged battery while working on AC power but I think this not
an option for you. Fortunately the Apple powerbooks don't get as hot as intel
counterparts. :-)

Another interesting fact about Li-Ion batteries is that the maximum live time is
not only a matter of time but of charge cycles. Current battery packs usually
allow 500 charge cycles (more or less) before they get useless. Even if you use
you laptop only one hour on battery until recharging or drain it completely empty,
the stress for the battery is the same. So batteries should always be used until
they are completly empty before recharging.

  Best Regards
    Matthias Grimm