Re: Last ditch on PlanB driver

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Dylan Beaudette wrote:

> I will try to get the planb driver working with a more modern kernel and
> report back here when i have some spare time. also -- i am pretty sure that
> the planb driver needs the i2c subsystem in order to function.

Well, I can confirm 2.4.27, I just got it working.

> I have used the program 'webcam' to capture images from the video input
> hardware. here is some configuration information:
> [grab]
> device = /dev/video0
> text = "food? %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"
> width = 640
> height = 480
> delay = 60
> input = composite
> norm = ntsc
> rotate = 0
> top = 0
> left = 0
> bottom = -1
> right = -1
> quality = 85
> trigger = 0
> once = 0
>
> i usually run webcam like this:
> webcam webcam.conf
> here is some sample output:
> dylan@surf:~/notes$ webcam webcam.conf
> reading config file: webcam.conf
> ioctl: VIDIOCSCHAN(0,Composite,flags=0x0,type=2,norm=3): Invalid argument
> ioctl: VIDIOCMCAPTURE(0,fmt=4,size=48x32): Invalid argument
> video4linux webcam v1.3 - (c) 1998-2001 Gerd Knorr
> grabber config:
>   size 640x480 [16 bit YUV 4:2:2 (packed)]
>   input composite, norm ntsc, jpeg quality 85
>   rotate=0, top=0, left=0, bottom=480, right=640
> write config:
>   local transfer /home/httpd/uploading.jpg => /home/httpd/cam.jpg
> "food? 2005-01-16 19:08:17"

Thanks for posting that, it helped out quite a bit.

Here's my success:

http://www.rimboy.com/picts/webcam.jpeg

The camera is very cheap, there's only one light on in my office though.

Here's where I eat my shorts.  I had not tried to get the webcam app
working due to the fact that it appeared to be deprecated.  I tried using
CamE to no avail.  In troubleshooting I tried messing with the v4lctl
stuff which led me on a futher wild goose chase.   I don't have X running
on these systems because they're going to be headless (nevermind trying to
get X running on a 100mhz 601).  As such, I was led to believe the errors
being thrown were problems... that I guess webcam gets around.

Incidentally I looked at the kernel and it does lead you to believe the
I2C stuff is needed but this setup is running sans I2C.

Anyway, it's working now and I want to thank everyone for their help.
I've got 8 macs to deploy as webcam servers now! :)  Most of them will end
up behind firewalls, though it's not like they'll be offering up much if
they're hanging out on the net.  Also, I'll be using Debian for these
systems.

Thanks again,

Sean...

--
The punk rock will get you if the government don't get you first.
	--Old 97's