Re: AGP support on PowerMac G5?

    "Patrick" == Patrick Finnegan <pat@computer-refuge.org> writes:

    Patrick> So, I'm trying to get my new G5 desktop set up, and was
    Patrick> having a hard time getting X to work, until I found out
    Patrick> that it aparently is required to run using the fbdev
    Patrick> driver.  Has there been any work on getting X to run
    Patrick> natively?  fbdev performace, while not horrible, isn't
    Patrick> really the best, and it'd be nice to have X directly
    Patrick> working with my Radeon 9600XT card.

This will probably not be particularly helpful, but my G5 does not run
with fbdev (as far as I can tell anyway). However, I do have a
different card

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "GeForce FX5200"
        Driver          "nv"
        BusID           "PCI:240:16:0"
EndSection

As I understand these things you do not need the AGP just because your
card is on an agp bus. I don't know AGP very well (but I was once very
intimately familiar with PCI), but I believe that unless you use the
AGP features they otherwise work just like a PCI device. I could be
completely wrong.....

The machine I'm writing this on has a US$25 card (an ATI XPert98, 2x
AGP, probably more like $5 these days :-) plugged into a 4x AGP slot
on the motherboard, but I do *NOT* have AGP running in my kernel
(2.4.27-k7, stock Debian). It works great.

I'm pretty sure I did not try AGP support on the G5 either (power4
2.6.8-9 Debian). In fact I believe AGP support is not quite there
yet....but I hardly miss it (who needs AGP to run a stinkin emacs and
a few xterms, gcc and friends ;-)

Cheers!
Shyamal