AGP support on PowerMac G5?

So, I'm trying to get my new G5 desktop set up, and was having a hard
time getting X to work, until I found out that it aparently is required
to run using the fbdev driver.  Has there been any work on getting X to
run natively?  fbdev performace, while not horrible, isn't really the
best, and it'd be nice to have X directly working with my Radeon 9600XT
card.

Has anyone gotten this to work, or know what's keeping it from working?
I can get X to start up, but the display (an Apple Cinema Display 20)
goes blank, and won't come back without a reboot.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/