Re: No sound: Deb Sarge on G4 iMac

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 08:02:36PM -0500, Harvey Ussery wrote:
[snip]
> Progress! Aplay at least generates sound--the first peep I've heard from
> the system since I installed. Here's a sample output:

OK, so it seems alsa is working at least.

[snap]
> harvey@doob:~$ uname -r
> 2.6.8-powerpc
>
> Thanks for your help--at least now I know the system is capable of
> sound. Any idea why the cd player, though clearly playing a music cd, is
> not generating any audio? (And I still can't ring the system bell?)

What is the name of your cd player application? (it's more than likely
that I'm not familiar with it). Maybe it uses the OSS emulation, so check
it's setup if it has any.
If you use KDE or Gnome you may have a sound deamon running that needs
to be reconfigured. I'm not familiar with these, but you can find out who
is using/blocking the sound device by doing:

lsof | egrep "/dev/snd|/dev/audio"

You may want to run this while playing a CD.
I've never been able to ring the system bell in 2.6, but haven't bothered
to figure out why cause I hate the thing. Worked for me with OSS in 2.4.

So the short answer is that your kernel, modules and alsa are okay. Must
be application problems.

Good luck,
--
Martin