Re: AV PPC support Apple conference camera

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Nathanael Hasbrouck wrote:

> Well, I'm not Derrik, but I'll try to help anyway. :^)

Thanks. :)

> AFAIR, you'll need to use a 2.4 kernel, unless someone's fixed the planb
> driver in 2.6.

2.4 is definately where it's at.  In fact, while looking thru a 2.6
changelog someone requested that the planb driver be marked as broken.
Michel had patches for 2.4.18... at some point they were included in the
2.4 series.  Unfortunately neither a patched 2.4.18 or the current kernel
worked with the current v4l stuff.

> I tried to get it running on my 7600 a while ago, but
> never managed to get it to work quite right - I'm pretty sure some
> people have had it working, though.

Well, I presume Michel had it working at one point.  There was a guy on
one of these lists (either the v4l or this list) that said he had it
working, though throwing some errors, with the python v4l stuff.  I'm not
quite sure I'm ready to go that route when by all accounts the tools I
need are already there (that being the grabber stuff to use as a webcam).

> I think I found .debs for xawtv somewhere when I was trying to make it
> work, but that was a while ago and I don't know what version it was.  Have
> you checked apt-get.org yet?

I had upgraded all of the deb packages to what was current for v4l/xawtv.
It looks like something broke between the 3.38 RPM Michel offers from his
site and the current version of the v4l software.  :/  While nothing has
happened to the planb driver since the patch to 2.4.18 / patch inclusion
in the kernel, the v4l stuff continued and eventually broke compatibility
with the planb driver.  I'm not blaming the v4l/xawtv stuff by any
account... discussion on the v4l list more or less stated it was the planb
driver with the issue and in the big scheme of things, I agree.

> Gee...some people have all the fun. :)

Well, I would not exactly call what's been going on fun.  It will be if I
can ever get this to work.  I have plans to deploy at least two systems
(probably the 7500's) ASAP, one a webcam from my building at work, the
other in a warehouse along some railroad tracks (traincam).  In addition,
I may put up another at the office since we have a nice view of the
Nashville TN skyline.  Plus I have an offer to put one up in a guys
apartment... which overlooks more railroad tracks.  I suspect I won't have
problems deploying the others as well.

Thanks,

Sean...

--
The punk rock will get you if the government don't get you first.
	--Old 97's