Re: PowerPC desktop -- asking for trouble?

Em Tue, 04 Jan 2005 17:10:17 +0100, Sven Luther escreveu:

> i was referring as list price for cpu doubling suddenly if you go
> against IBM markets and such stuff. Bet what will happen to G5
> availability if we were to release a machine in the imac G5 class ?

	Sometimes I doubt IBM really wants to succeed... until it rids
itself of these conflicts of interest, it won't help making GNU/Linux
on POWER a reality outside of its closed garden.

	Granted things aren't so bad anymore now that we have dual
supply, but Freescale at the moment doesn't look competitive at all,
and there is no third source at view.

	I have just had access to a brand new iMac, and it just feels
good to have such a snappy machine; with a better OS such as GNU/Linux
-- Mac OS X still freezes for short periods, specially when using
QuickTime for playing streams -- it could be serious competition.
With Apple not supporting a second OS, and with IBM not supporting a
second PC manufacturer, we won't see a healthy critical mass anytime
soon.

	Oh for lost opportunities... Mac OS on the Alpha, notebook
Alpha, RISC MS Windows, Mac OS on the MkLinux, the Mac clones, CHRP,
POP...

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete Dutra <leandro@dutra.fastmail.fm>
Maringá, PR, BRASIL                            +55 (44) 3025 6253