Re: PowerPC desktop -- asking for trouble?

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 09:29:19AM -0500, Igor Khavkine wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 11:51:21PM -0500, Igor Khavkine wrote:
> > > I'm thinking of getting a PowerPC box as my next
> > > desktop and I have a few questions. Hopefully this
> > > is the right place to ask.
> > >
> > > First are there viable alternatives to Apple computers
> > > for a PowerPC desktop? Can I get decent hardward without
> > > an OS for a reasonable price?
> >
> > Sure :
> >
> >    http://www.pegasosppc.com/tech_specs.php
> >
> > The boards are still a bit expensive, but since it is a bare motherboard, you
> > can get cheap-whatever to build your own box. We also do boxes with native
> > debian installs on it, i guess there is a order form somewhere, but i am not
> > sure where yet.
>
> The Pegasos store looks interesting. Will Pegasos be offering G5 based boards soon?

Not sure if i can respond at this time about this, since G5 supply may be
constrained by the will of IBM and/or Apple, it may be an unhealthy place to
be for an alternative powerpc motherboard manufacturer. We will have boards
based on the next gen Freescale CPUs though (single and dual core with
integrated northbridge), which should be a serious performance bump, but
staying with 32bit cpus. You don't _really_ need 64bitness anyway.

Friendly,

Sven Luther