Re: PowerPC desktop -- asking for trouble?

    "Igor" == Igor Khavkine <k_igor_k@lycos.com> writes:

    Igor> I'm thinking of getting a PowerPC box as my next desktop and
    Igor> I have a few questions.

After running Linux for nearly 11 years on x86 I finally jumped to
powerpc last month when my AMD motherboard fritzed....

    Igor> Lastly, If I get a G5 PowerMac, will I be able to unstall
    Igor> Debian on it (unstable is fine)? Is there any crucial
    Igor> hardware that still doesn't have Linux drivers?

I bought (rather, my S.O. bought it for me :-) a G5 PowerMac (Dual 2.0
Ghz) and Debian will now install on it with a recent d-i build (Jan 1,
2005 onwards I suppose). For me it was an adventure, but it should
work out of the box now.

I don't believe sound support is available (Debian or upstream
kernels). But it is a matter of time and effort: Apple's Darwin OS is
open source so drivers can always be built from there by some with the
skills to do so. There also seems to be some issue with the
accelerated graphics support, but I don't need that stuff so I'm not
sure.

The Apple machines are pricey, but they are better engineered than
anything else I've owned. An Mac OS X is actually kinda cool, I liked
it enough that I've kept it as a dual boot option.

Cheers!
Shyamal