Re: debian ppc64

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 12:44:47PM +0100, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> On 04-Dec-08 11:34, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 11:03:37AM +0100, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> > > For my ppc64 porting efforts, I have patched Debian glibc up to current
> > > CVS. I had to sort out which of the 120 Debian patches still apply
> > > and found that about 90 of them are already in CVS or not needed anymore.
> >
> > Yep, but this is not very usefull, if this effort is not integrated in the
> > global ppc64-debian effort. Upload of such packages to experimental, or to a
> > local repository is the way to go. Not individual hacking in an obscure
> > corner.
>
> It is my intention to discuss these issues with the glibc maintainers,
> but please give me some time to make more tests and think about the
> issues first.

Well, you are doing stuff in your own little corner, all right. The fact is
that the below has no chance of being productive, since the glibc will not
change until the sarge release, and after that there will be a new glibc
anyway, with ppc64 support, and all the other goodies that have been missing.

> I have prepared a patch for the glibc package which makes glibc compile
> and work for ppc64. The patch can be found at
>
> http://debian-ppc64.alioth.debian.org/gcc4/patches/glibc_2.3.2.ds1-19.0.0.1.gcc4.patch

Oh, so you created an alioth project, what about inviting people interested in
the topic to join ?

> The patch creates a large 22 MB file
>
> 'debian/patches/10_cvs20041202.dpatch'

That won't do, and i doubt this is the right way of doing it. Please speak
with the glibc people, and try to see if there is a non-sarge devel glibc out
there ?

> with the diff between glibc-2.3.2 and the current glibc CVS version
> as well as a list of Debian patches 'debian/patches/00list.ppc64' which
> still have to be applied to the current CVS glibc. This '00list.ppc64'
> is used _instead_ of the normal '00list' for ppc64. The rest of the
> patch basically adds 'ppc64' at the appropriate places. Please note that
> this patch is work in progress. It is only two days old and it will
> likely need some changes.

So, why not have an open discussion with the proper people about this ? Also,
you are aware that there is a debian-glibc mailing list, which would be
apropriate for this kind of discussion, preferably CCed here. Also, i believe
there is a glibc CVS or SVN with a debian devel version.

> Maybe I will eventually send a patch as a wishlist report for glibc to

It will not be accepted, i can guarantee you that. Try to work with the
debian/glibc people, much easier and constructive for everyone involved that
way.

> the BTS. However, before doing that I would like to test it more
> intensively. Basically I will test it by trying to recompile the
> whole Debian archive for ppc64 using the patched glibc.

So, you are going to fork debian over a hacked glibc ?

> Anyway, I am not at all sure if such a large patch to glibc will be
> welcome at this time.
> The glibc maintainers will certainly have their own ideas regarding
> a possible upgrade to a newer glibc version after sarge is released.

So speak with them.

Friendly,

Sven Luther