Re: debian ppc64

On 04-Dec-08 11:34, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 11:03:37AM +0100, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> > For my ppc64 porting efforts, I have patched Debian glibc up to current
> > CVS. I had to sort out which of the 120 Debian patches still apply
> > and found that about 90 of them are already in CVS or not needed anymore.
>
> Yep, but this is not very usefull, if this effort is not integrated in the
> global ppc64-debian effort. Upload of such packages to experimental, or to a
> local repository is the way to go. Not individual hacking in an obscure
> corner.

It is my intention to discuss these issues with the glibc maintainers,
but please give me some time to make more tests and think about the
issues first.

I have prepared a patch for the glibc package which makes glibc compile
and work for ppc64. The patch can be found at

http://debian-ppc64.alioth.debian.org/gcc4/patches/glibc_2.3.2.ds1-19.0.0.1.gcc4.patch

The patch creates a large 22 MB file

'debian/patches/10_cvs20041202.dpatch'

with the diff between glibc-2.3.2 and the current glibc CVS version
as well as a list of Debian patches 'debian/patches/00list.ppc64' which
still have to be applied to the current CVS glibc. This '00list.ppc64'
is used _instead_ of the normal '00list' for ppc64. The rest of the
patch basically adds 'ppc64' at the appropriate places. Please note that
this patch is work in progress. It is only two days old and it will
likely need some changes.

Maybe I will eventually send a patch as a wishlist report for glibc to
the BTS. However, before doing that I would like to test it more
intensively. Basically I will test it by trying to recompile the
whole Debian archive for ppc64 using the patched glibc.

Anyway, I am not at all sure if such a large patch to glibc will be
welcome at this time.
The glibc maintainers will certainly have their own ideas regarding
a possible upgrade to a newer glibc version after sarge is released.

Regards
Andreas Jochens