Re: Laptop Mode

Hi Kiko,
On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 09:47:31AM +0200, Kiko Piris wrote:
> On 16/09/2004 at 08:54 +0200, Guido Guenther wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 09:56:17PM +0200, Kiko Piris wrote:
> > > On 15/09/2004 at 20:04 +0200, Matthias Grimm wrote:

> But I didn't mean to be rude or anything close to that (that's why I put
> a smiley there :-).
Saw that one ;)

> > Laptop_mode is _no_ daemon that checks for ac power or not
> > periodically.
>
> I also know that, the daemon I was referring to, was pbbutonsd (that's
> the one I use on my iBook). I don't want it to "touch" my laptop-mode
> settings.
The nice thing about the newer pbbuttonsd versions is that they use
scripts, just delete the symlink to the laptop script from
/etc/power/events.d and pbbuttonsd won't touch it anymore. The default
configuration should have this on though, since it's usefull for most of
the laptop users.

> > > I want it running *all the time* (regardless if I'm on battery or on AC
> > > adapter) because I use it to lower a bit the temperature of the hard
> > > disk.
> > But it decreases the lifetime of your hard disks servos due to frequent
> > spin ups and spin downs.
>
> I also know this, I've fine tuned all the daemons so that they don't
> make superfluous (cache-miss) reads that cause too frequent spin-ups.
Care to post this fine tuning?
Cheers,
 -- Guido