Re: Laptop Mode

Am Mittwoch, 15. September 2004 15:32 schrieb christophe barbe:
> > The laptop-mode-tools don't run out-of-the-box on powerpc machines yet.
> > You need to make the connection from laptop-mode-tools to your power
> > management daemon by hand. In your case you have to add some lines in
> > pwctrl-local:
>
> This is WRONG.

I'm sorry to contradict you and I would also understand you if you didn't CRY.

> laptop-mode-tools works out of the box on all architectures. The main
> purpose of the package is to set the laptop-mode automatically (to
> integrate it in debian).

Following is a part of the bug report to pmud from laptop-mode-tools author
Bart Samwel:

"I've got a patch to pmud that makes it execute, in addition to
pwrctl-local, all files in the directory /etc/power/pwrctl.d. I need this
because I'm working on laptop-mode-tools, and I can't find a failsafe way
to hook into events provided by pmud like I can with apmd and acpid."

This means that the laptop-mode-tools won't connect to any power management
daemon running on powerpc. Due to this laptop-mode-tools won't run
out-of-the-box on powerpc machines, right? You need to add the command to the
control script by hand. Otherwise laptop mode wouldn't be changed if power
source changed. That the laptop-mode-script must also be lauched at boot time
is only a workaround for insufficient quality of the PM-daemons.

> In Bryan case, I am not sure. Perhaps '/etc/init.d/laptop-mode start'
> needs to be invoked once if he has not restarted his computer since he
> installed laptop-mode-tools.

IMHO laptop-mode is a dynamic option that must adapt to changing conditions.
This can only be done in conjunction with a power management daemon. Anything
else doesn't make much sense.

 Best Regards
   Matthias