Re: debian boot CDs & G5

Hi,

Sven Luther writes:

> So, we only need to trim the discover database to what is in the
> initrd, or what we want to load at this stage ?

Using discover is pointless if you already know what to load.

> i sincerely doubt that the 4Mo initrd i have generated on my system
> is indeed very specific,

Put MODULES=dep in mkinitrd.conf to get the size down.

And if you think 4MB is large, you haven't seen an initrd generated
with that MODULES=all and BUSYBOX=yes.

> modifying of the hardware
[...]
> traveling around with the harddisk and use it on various different
> boxes.
[...]
> now, let's say your disk controller died, your box is no more under
> waranty, and you just go out and buy a cheap PCI ide controller and
> plug your disk on it.

Personally, I keep rescue systems around for situations like this.
And mkinitrd explicitly states that it's not intended for this
purpose.  Notwithstanding the fact that you can actually make a very
nice rescue system with mkinitrd and mkvmlinuz.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!