Re: debian boot CDs & G5

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 10:22:25PM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sven Luther writes:
>
> > Cool. Why is it in the NEW queue though ?
>
> Well, 2.6.6-3 adds tracker packages, 2.6.6-4 adds tracker packages
> *and* removes the g5 flavour.
>
> > And any progress on the mkvmlinuz issue
>
> What issue?

Well, having it automatically called on the subarches that need it.

> > On the other side, i still have problem with the initrd, i was able to
> > regain keyboard support with the following modules : atkbd, serio and
> > i8042.
>
> Cool.  You're getting there.
>
> > I still think that it would be better to have a fully fledged discover
> > in the initrd, just to be on the safe side, but nobody else seems to
> > comment on that.
>
> No.  The initrd should only contain the modules needed for bringing up
> the root filesystem, and maybe using the console.  It is mkinitrd's
> duty to figure out what's needed.  If the resulting initrd doesn't
> work, it's a bug in mkinitrd and needs to be fixed.

Yeah, sure, but i think there is a misunderstanding. the duty of
discover is exactly to find the modules needed by your system and load
them. Exactly the same thing mkinitrd does (or more exactly the the
/bin/init script of the initrd), just in a bigger scale. It is my
understanding that if discover is used together with a smaller database
of modules, well, including only those modules that get needed, then it
would do the same job as the current init script, without duplicating
the effort needed to identify and locate modules twice. Remember that
discover is used in the debian-installer initrd, so why should it not
also work for us ?

Now, if you used arguments concerning size and such, i would agree, but
as the initrd contains a fully fledged libc6, not even doing the library
symbol removal trick debian-installer does, i doubt place is critical.

> This may sound a little harsh, but I went through this with the
> Powermac support and it worked out very well.

Yeah, until some random user plugs in a random scsi or ide or whatever
card you had not thought about, and then you are screwed. It works for
mainstream hardware, but is not robust.

Friendly,

Sven Luther