Re: debian boot CDs & G5

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 08:46:14AM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Colin Watson writes:
> > In that case, we could save a fair bit of space by shipping both
> > kernels but only one set of modules, and somehow educating d-i about
> > this.
>
> This would add considerable obfuscation at several points.  The build
> process is now designed such that flavours can be added and removed
> with minimum fuss.  The resulting packages each provide a working
> kernel and modules without further ado.  The d-i can simply offer a
> selection of them.

d-i takes your kernel packages and splits them up into a pile of udebs;
see packages/kernel/linux-kernel-di-powerpc-2.6/ in the d-i repository,
or the linux-kernel-di-powerpc-2.6 source package in the archive. I'm
talking about what it should ship, not about what your packages should
ship, so your build process is not involved.

However, I do need to know if it's possible to insert modules from the
-power4 set into a -g5 kernel.