Re: Battery life on an iBook rev 2.2

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 03:52, Cedric Pradalier wrote:
> According to Adam Israel, on Sun, 09 May 2004 18:55:53 -0500,
> >I've got Debian sid installed on my iBook (G3, 800Mhz).
> >
> >Maybe I'm misunderstanding how power management works on the PowerPC,
> >or maybe something is misconfigured.  It seems that the battery only
> >lasts for about 2 hours.  I'll watch the battery drain to around 85%,
> >and then it drops to 0%.
>
> I don't understand what is occuring. Mine goes for about 3h30-4h00, with
> low backlight. Maybe your battery is badly calibrated

Is there a way to re-calibrate the battery then?  FWIW, the battery
usage seemed just fine under OSX.  The testing I did was with the
backlight on the lowest possible settings.

> Note also that USB devices consume a lot of energy, even when sleeping :
> my ibook can't pass the night sleeping with an usb mouse, and stand 3 or
> 4 days without.

I don't have any USB devices plugged in.

> >I've tried using pmud and apmd, and both had the same behavior (though
> >pmud actually suspends-on-close whereas apmd didn't).
>
> You should not use apmd. The ibook chip is pmu.
>

> >/proc/pmu/battery_0 looks like on full charge:
> >flags		: 00000011
> >charge		: 21768
> >max_charge	: 21886
> >current		: -1174
> >voltage		: 11674
> >time rem.	: 66750
>
> This is odd also : mine looks like :
> flags      : 00000011
> charge     : 4125
> max_charge : 4147
> current    : -1163
> voltage    : 11947
> time rem.  : 12768

There seems to be quite the difference between yours and mine,
specifically the charge, max_charge, and time remaining.  I wonder if
this is causing a miscalculation somewhere.

Adam