Re: Booting my G3 (again)

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 11:56:46PM +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> The setup fails to make the disk bootable because ofpath cannot hack my scsi
> device (sym53c8xx)
>
> I have installed a patched quik and the boot device is meant to be /dev/sda2
> (is it a problem if it is not the first partition on the disk).

You can't put anything on partition 1 on a Mac style partition map. That
is the partition map itself, so that isn't an issue.

> The relevant of settings I am using are:
>
> boot-device scsi/sd@0:1  (NB I have tried others)

Are you actually trying to boot from a drive on your sym53c8xx card? If
so, this is almost certainly wrong. The "scsi" device name is normally
an alias to the built-in controller, either mesh or 53c94 depending on
the exact model. For a PCI card, you'll need a direct path. Take a look
at /proc/device-tree while you're in Linux and see where it shows up.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com