Re: Zombies (defunct processes) with kernel 2.4.18

On Thu, 2004-04-15 03:08:40 +0200, Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.org>
wrote in message <[🔎] 20040415010840.GB1610@ay.vinc17.org>:
> With kernel 2.4.18 (well, I noticed that I didn't have the following
> problem for a while, and I was using kernel 2.4.25 at this time), I've
> noticed that Mozilla and ogg123 leave zombies:

Zombies (those defunct processes) are normally caused by their parents.
Usually, some process starts another (it's child) and after the child
finishes, it's parent needs to do some cleaning up (mostly fetching it's
child's exit value). In the time between calling sys_exit() and the
parent retreiving child's exit value, the process is a zombie.

So better get a tree-like diagram of your processes (ps axf) and look
for your zombie's parents. Kill those.

Of course, bugs in the kernel's signal code could force the parent to
not recognize it's child's exit, thus the child would become a zombie...

MfG, JBG