Re: Low battery -> power down + clock set back to 1904-01-01

> This is indicative of a reset of the power manager chip, which will
> produce this symptom 100% of the time.  This can be artifically induced,
> but I believe to do this you have to hold shift-ctl-alt-power when the
> machine is off then release them (on recent models).  This should *not*
> happen without this happening as this is battery backed.  You may have a
> hw failure, I would certainly be very interested if this could be activated
> in software as it is controled by open firmware.

Won't help you but yes, it can be done in 'software', sort of. Nasty
kernel hangs tend to produce the same clock reset for me. The powerbook
always cuts off power in these cases.

Perhaps a PMU communication timeout in the ADB driver, caused by some
interrupt lockup rather than the kernel scribbling over random memory
locations (at least that's my impression from what BenH told me). I'm
sure you can force this by turning interrupts off in the middle of a
PMU transaction. Escaping the PMU hard reset unharmed is quite another
issue (I'd try this sort of game after a disk suspend f.e.).

	Michael