Re: instalation on a tricky 7500/100 with metabox G4

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 08:23:51AM -0400, Derrik Pates wrote:
> Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> >I'm pretty sure you can't use quik or yaboot to boot a 7500.  You will
> >need a partition with a Mac OS 8 or 9 installation so you initially
> >start up in Mac OS, and then switch to Linux with BootX.
>
> I use Quik on my 7500. However, it has a dual 604e/180 CPU card, not a
> G4 CPU card.

I have almost the same setup. I have a 7600 with a dual 604e/200 CPU card,
and quik has never been a problem. However, OF on these old machines had
some serious issues if any chip other than a 601, 604, or 604e was used.
It messed up I/O access, but booting from the Apple ROM usually worked.
At least one of the upgrade makers had an OF patch to fix the issue for
ppc 750 chips, but it didn't become widespread. Also, they put it directly
on their cards, so you couldn't just download it to any other machine.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com