Re: Problem netbooting a prep machine

On Monday 20 December 2004 22:31, Leigh Brown wrote:
> Sven Luther said:
> >>
> >> In my research, I was looking at the vmlinuz.chrp, specially the ELF
> >> header
> >> and the note.
> >>
> >> I saw that in this header, real mode is true, real-base is c00000,
> >> real-size
> >> is default, virtual base is default,virtual size is default,load-base is
> >> 4000.
> >>
> >> Which is inconsistent with my environment variables.
> >>
> >> Is there something like this for vmlinuz.prep ?? (Hadn't seen anything
> >> like in the header) .
> >
> > No idea really, my prep knowledge is rather fragmentary.
>
> Chapter 5 of the document below describes the PReP boot format, which is
> the same for disk and netboot loading:
>
> http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/files/docs/PReP/srp1_103.pdf
>
> There is nothing in the format that supports controlling where the
> image is loaded, as far as I know.

I agree of course after reading the prep docs.

A few hexdump later....

All seems fine in the headers I have examined.
Entry point offset points to smthing I believe the start of code (no
desassembly yet..)
Load image length
Flags ( showing big endian for the code)
Similar for file vmlinuz...., file  zImage from Leigh, x41 boot partition of
my 43P-140 (whith addition of "root=..." done whith preptools), memory after

I am wondering if I could be able to write a little piece of code for testing
if it could be load-and-go'ed but I have no experience of that. May I use
some makefile or equivalent ?

Felipe