Re: Xfree86 setup on old-world Mac HELP!

On (19/12/04 16:11), Eric Scott wrote:
> Yo;
> Just installed Woody on my ol' PowerMac 7300 with it's integrated video
> system.  How on earth do I get Xfree up and chipper?  dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xfree86 does it's "Please enter the video card's bux
> identifier," but lspci does me no good 'cuz it's not a PCI card.
>
> tips would be very helpful!
> ES

Hey Eric,

Not sure why your on-board video isn't showing up.  I have an 8500, and
the output of lspci on my machine is:

0000:00:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. Bandit PowerPC host bridge (rev 03)
0000:00:0d.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Silicon Image, Inc. (formerly CMD Technology Inc) SiI 3112 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:0e.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro (rev 5c)
0000:00:0f.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB12LV23 IEEE-1394 Controller
0000:00:10.0 ff00: Apple Computer Inc. Grand Central I/O (rev 02)
0000:01:0b.0 Non-VGA unclassified device: Apple Computer Inc. Control Video
0000:01:0d.0 ff00: Apple Computer Inc. PlanB Video-In (rev 01)

The next to last option (Non-VGA, Apple Control Video) is the device you
want. I have to admit, I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to get the same
device working with a second monitor (in my case) with my ATI chip in
Xinerama mode.

>From what I've been able to discern from /var/log/XFree86.0.log, when
I try to use that chip with a video mode specified in
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 , the XFree86 (or X.org) fbdev driver does not
know about the hardware, and cannot do anything to switch it into that
video mode.  What I might suggest trying is to boot into Mac OS (if you
still have it installed), set the display resolution to what you want it
to be (if you have the full 4 MB of VRAM on the motherboard, the max
I've been able to push with this chip is 1280x1024 at 8-bit colour,
which is pretty ugly, or 1152x854 at 15-bit).  So in Mac OS, this would
be the 1152x854 in "Thousands of Colours" mode.

Just to warn you, I tried using this mode on a CRT, and the refresh rate
caused me eye-strain just after a few minutes of use.  On an LCD, that
should not be an issue.  AFAIK - because of the lack of documentation,
this chip has no hardware recognition or acceleration, which is why it
is such a PITA to use.  If you can (i.e. finances and slot availability
in your 7300) I'd suggest trying to pick up a cheap PCI Rage-64 or even
Rage-128 bit card.

I think I asked before, and got no answer - but is there anywhere I can
help try to figure out these devices to get the hardware better
supported ?  Any projects or people working on this where I can lend a
hand ?

cheers
vinai