Re: Java debs anyone?

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 23:48 -0500, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 09:12 -0800, Eric Gaumer wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 10:51 +0100, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:

> > > You cannot redistribute *even unmodified*! And you cannot install tools
> > > that intend to replace tools in the JDK (java, javac, javah, jar,
> > > jarsigner, etc)... Sun's, IBM's and Blackdown's JDK/JRE are free of
> > > charge but not free software *at all*
> >
> > Yes and we are not supposed to download free music either but I hear
> > there are folks who actually do this...
>
> Would you like free software licences to be respected or not?

Java doesn't use a free software license. Aside from religious aspects,
it boils down to the fact that we need what we need. I have no problem
paying for a product and sure, I'd like to see everything be open source
but that's not likely to happen. In the mean time we do what we have to
so we can function. It's a matter of survival not religion.

What about the deCSS stuff? How many out there are using this?

If you feel so passionate about free software then lets boycott the use
of Java. Who is willing to go that far for their beliefs?

Like I mentioned earlier, dump Java and start supporting mono. It's
fully open and could easily rival Java. C# already fixes all the
nuisances and problems Java has. It is what Java wanted to be.

--
Eric Gaumer <gaumerel@ecs.fullerton.edu>