Re: Java debs anyone?

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 22:13 -0800, Eric Gaumer wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 23:48 -0500, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> >
> > Would you like free software licences to be respected or not?
>
> Java doesn't use a free software license.

I know... my point is that if we want free software licences to be
respected (I do), then we should respect other licences as well.

> Aside from religious aspects, it boils down to the fact that we need
> what we need. I have no problem paying for a product and sure, I'd like
> to see everything be open source but that's not likely to happen. In
> the mean time we do what we have to so we can function. It's a matter of
> survival not religion.

So you're saying it's okay for corporations (or anybody, for that
matter) to violate free software licences if that's 'what they need'?

> What about the deCSS stuff? How many out there are using this?

Please stop digressing to irrelevant tangents.

> If you feel so passionate about free software then lets boycott the use
> of Java. Who is willing to go that far for their beliefs?

Sure, if you can't agree to the licence, just don't use it instead of
violating it and encouraging others to do the same.

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 22:39 -0800, Eric Gaumer wrote:

> This is what comes with IBM's Java SDK
> Licensed Materials - Property of IBM

[...]

> So perhaps I'm reading this wrong (I'm no lawyer) but it seems to me
> that redistribution, modified or otherwise, is permitted providing the 5
> guidelines above.
>
> No?

No. This is the COPYRIGHT file, the licence for IBM's proprietary stuff
is in LICENSE_<cc>.html.