Re: Java debs anyone?

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 13:57 -0500, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 12:01 +0200, Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti
> Dutra wrote:
> > 	I already reported my problems trying alien on the IBM Java
> > SDK... perhaps someone would be willing to share it already
> > debianised?
>
> Does the licence allow redistribution (in modified form)?

This is what comes with IBM's Java SDK
Licensed Materials - Property of IBM
IBM(R) 32-bit SDK for Linux(R) on iSeries(TM) and pSeries(TM), Java(TM) 2  Technology Edition, Version 1.4.2
IBM(R) 32-bit Runtime Environment for Linux(R) on iSeries(TM) and pSeries(TM), Java(TM) 2  Technology Edition, Version 1.4.2

(c) Copyright Sun Microsystems Inc, 1992-2003. All rights reserved.
(c) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1996-2004. All rights reserved.

The Apache Software License, Version 1.1
Copyright (c) 1999-2002 The Apache Software Foundation. All rights reserved.

This product is based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG group.

The Java(tm) technology is owned and exclusively licensed by
Sun Microsystems Inc.  Java is a trademark of Sun Microsystems Inc. in
the U.S. and other countries.

US Govt Users Restricted Rights - Use duplication or disclosure
restricted by GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corp.

And the Apache Software License, Version 1.1

Version 1.1

Copyright (c) 2000 The Apache Software Foundation. All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution, if any,
must include the following acknowledgment:

        "This product includes software developed by the Apache Software
        Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)."

Alternately, this acknowledgment may appear in the software itself, if
and wherever such third-party acknowledgments normally appear.

4. The names "Apache" and "Apache Software Foundation" must not be used
to endorse or promote products derived from this software without prior
written permission. For written permission, please contact
apache@apache.org.

5. Products derived from this software may not be called "Apache", nor
may "Apache" appear in their name, without prior written permission of
the Apache Software Foundation.

So perhaps I'm reading this wrong (I'm no lawyer) but it seems to me
that redistribution, modified or otherwise, is permitted providing the 5
guidelines above.

No?

--
Eric Gaumer <gaumerel@ecs.fullerton.edu>