Re: debian ppc64

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 05:34:51PM +0100, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> On 04-Dec-08 16:44, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 04:24:02PM +0100, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> > Fully unaware that others are doing a similar effort, and without contacting
> > the debian gcc, glibc and kernel folk, right ?
>
> I did not know and I still do not know about any serious efforts to
> create a native 64 bit ppc64 port besides the porting efforts of
> Rafael Esp?ndola <rafael.espindola@gmail.com>. Please point me to the
> appropriate places where I can find patches, packages, plans or
> discussions for a native 64 bit ppc64 port.

Well, the decision if we will go for a native 64 port, or a bi-arch solution
has not yet been taken, so ...

There is effort to set up biarch support in the gcc-3.4 packages (indeed
Mathias has already built such a compiler), and work in consideration by Jeff
on the glibc situation. The glibc situation is obviously blocked by the sarge
release, so it is not time to go steaming ahead, but to consider our options,
and see what is best.

My own plan is to get a biarch compiler, possibly even hacked somehow to be
part of sarge, and then build a set of power3 and power4 ppc64 kernels, and
maybe a statically linked pstools or whatever they are tools. More cannot be
done for sarge.

> > you are going the pure64 route, despite input that this may not be all that
> > achieving much, and ignoring the problems that surrounded the amd64-pure64
> > effort.
> >
> > I am curious about your plan, are you able to run 32bit binaries in the above
> > scenario ?
>
> I am not planning to go the original pure64 route which only supported
> 64 bit binaries. My plan - if I have any definite one - is to have a
> native 64 bit userland, i.e. to basically compile all Debian source
> packages for 64 bit powerpc64-linux.

And have you thought what this would mean for mirror space ? The pure64 amd64
got already vetoed by the debian infrastucture admins, since it would kill our
mirroring network, so ...

Also, is there a real advantage in this over the native 32bit situation with
possibility to run 64bit libraries ?

> However, it will also be possible to compile and run 32 bit powerpc-linux
> binaries. This will be achieved by using the '-enable-multilib' gcc
> switch and by placing the necessary 32 bit powerpc libraries in
> /usr/lib32.

Bah, same biarch problems, which need to be discussed.

> To some extent I have this setup already working on my own machine,
> but it will take some more work to create and test proper patches for
> the Debian gcc-3.4, gcc-4.0 and glibc packages to support this.

Indeed, just speak with the right people.

Friendly,

Sven Luther