Re: debian ppc64

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 04:46:59PM -0200, Rafael Ávila de Espíndola wrote:
> Hi, I have done some work on porting debian to the powerpc64. The original
> post:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2004/10/msg00193.html

We have also been working silently on it ...

> I also made some bug reports to add support for the powerpc architecture. One
> missing is the one against dpkg
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=263743). Who is the
> "powerpc64 port team"? What is the correct name of the architecture?

IT is not, we need to thinkg about this, and it will depend on wheter we go
the pure64 way, or the biarch way. In any case i would like to have a working
biarch compiler and stuff before i build kernels. Well, i already have a
biarch compiler, but it is a hacked one, and not fit to be put into debian.

> I see that you need a kernel. Maybe this helps:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2004/07/msg00449.html

No, i don't think so, a ppc64 kernel which cannot be built inside debian is
not really all that usefull, and there is still the question of the glibc.
Work is underway on this, but there is still a way to go.

> Good luck with the port. Is there a malling list?

Here would be the right place.

Friendly,

Sven Luther